We've been introducing you to our judges in the finalist round of Small Cool Kitchens 2013. Today, meet our final panel judge: Matt Armendariz of Mattbites! Matt writes one of my long-time favorite food blogs. He is a pro photographer, writer, and terrific cook who lives and blogs in Southern California. I've always loved his sense of humor and vibrant photography. When I found out that he had just finished renovating a home too, I knew he would be a great addition to our panel!
Read on for a little more from Matt and his kitchen...
1. What's your favorite feature of your kitchen?
My kitchen is a long galley kitchen, nothing spectacular, but at one end of it is a lovely, happy, sunny breakfast nook that puts me in a great mood every time I cook.
2. If you could change one thing about your kitchen what would it be? Is there anything that drives you crazy?
More space! Also, since my home was built in 1928, I can't really update it into some super shiny spacious kitchen without it sticking out like a sore thumb. My workaround was to build an outdoor kitchen instead!
3. What time of day is the light best in your kitchen?
Since we're in Southern California I must say we get beautiful sunny light all day long, but I'm partial to late afternoon as the golden sun makes its way throughout the windows. Oh, and it might have something to do with the glass of wine in my hand during that time of day.
4. What's the best thing you've cooked this summer in your kitchen?
Pie. Definitely pie. Especially with the awesome summer berries from the market.
5. What's one design choice you made that you're especially happy with in your kitchen? Thanks Matt! We're looking forward to seeing your Small Cool Kitchens picks!
It had to be investing in a professional paint job as well as hiring a decorator for our breakfast nook. Ok, that's two choices, but having a professional work his magic in our kitchen with color makes all the difference in the world.
(Image: Matt Armendariz)