Yesterday we announced our 10 semi-finalists in Small Cool Kitchens 2013, and this week our panel of judges is busy choosing their top four favorites. While they're deliberating, we wanted to introduce you to them, and ask each judge a little more about their own kitchen.
First up: Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs of Food52 and the just-launched Provisions. They recently moved in to a new office, where they installed a beautiful new kitchen for testing recipes and taking photos. Here are their thoughts on their shared kitchen space.
1. What's your favorite feature in the kitchen?
It's a toss-up between our two counter tops: one is made of Calacatta Gold marble, which we sourced literally a block from our office, and the other is walnut butcher block from John Boos, with a special slot for storing knives our contractor put in for us.
2. If you could change one thing about your kitchen what would it be? Is there anything that drives you crazy?
We'd like more storage space. But in New York, who doesn't want that?
3. What time of day is the light best in your kitchen?
The light is great pretty much all day long. We knew we needed to find an office and kitchen with great natural light, because we take all of the photos for the site there.
4. What's the best thing you've cooked this summer in your kitchen?
This is a really hard question! There was an icebox cake tasting a few weeks ago that scored pretty high, and there have been a lot of great salads recently, made with produce from the greenmarket.
5. What's one design choice you made that you're especially happy with in your kitchen? Thanks Amanda and Merrill! We're looking forward to seeing your picks in Small Cool Kitchens!
We tried to combine modern touches like the white marble countertop with more rustic ones, like the reclaimed wood shelving we installed to display all of our favorite cookware and dishes — which are also a mix of modern and vintage pieces.
Visit Amanda & Merrill online:
(Image: James Ransom)