I have a love hate relationship with potlucks. On one hand, they are a great opportunity to experience friends' cooking and creativity. On the other hand, they always seem to come up at the last minute. Breakfast potlucks are the most difficult. Here are five ideas to help you shine at your next one.
1. Breakfast Casseroles - These are ideal make-ahead dishes: easy to assemble the night before and bake in the morning or on site.
• Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
• Deep-Dish Brioche French Toast
2. Frittatas - An ideal savory dish, the frittata is the potluck version of an omelet.
• Lemon Frittata with Leeks and Goat Cheese
• Frittata Squares
3. Sticky buns and rolls - Although putting together a batch of sticky buns in the morning sounds like you'll be staying up all night, the trick to potluck success is to make these the night before and allow them to rise slowly in the refrigerator until it's time to bake. Or bake them and re-heat before serving!
• IKEA-Inspired Cinnamon Rolls
• No-Knead Pumpkin Rolls with Brown Sugar Glaze
4. Scones and Muffins - Don't be tempted to limit your potluck options to dishes that need to be served hot. These are crowd pleasers and easy to make a night in advance, or even a few days before.
• Fresh Cranberry Scones
• Cheddar and Leek Muffins
5. Granola - Change things up a bit with homemade granola and yogurt. Crunchy and on the healthy side, your friends will remember your unique contribution!
• 15 Recipes, Tips & Ideas for Delicious Homemade Granola
Related: Brunch Recipes That Can Be Made in Advance?
(Image: Faith Durand)