5 of Our Favorites:
1) Ricotta Salata: This ricotta isn't creamy like the one you may be most familiar with. Instead, it's a firm, mild, slightly salty cheese that's great in place of feta or goat cheese.
2) Parmigiano-Reggiano: This earthy salty, nutty cheese is often used to finish a pasta dish, but it's wonderful grated over salads as well.
3) Manchego: This Spanish sheep's-milk cheese boasts a sweet, mildness and a slightly smoky flavor. Perfect to slice for appetizers but even better with olives, sliced cucumbers and preserved lemon in your next salad.
4) Creamy Feta: Since winter salads often have heartier greens, using a crumbly and salty feta with a lighter consistency will add a nice kick to each bite, making your salad much more of a pleasure than a flat mid-January obligation.
5) Blue Stilton: For our last cheese, we chose an English blue cheese that doesn't come off too strong. To make a well-balanced salad, add something sweet like candied nuts or dried fruits: the sharp flavor of the Stilton will balance it nicely.
Related: Classic Diner Recipe: Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese
(Image: Nora Singley and Emma Christensen)