I love how the concept of a sandwich is simple yet freeing. Yes, there's usually bread involved, but the fillings are entirely up to you. There's nothing wrong with the classics, but how about a few new ones to try out for lunch next week?
This Week's Lunch Recipes
Lunches get boring because they get repetitive, but I promise this week's lunch plan is anything but. For the vegetarians, there's a portobello mushroom sandwich with roasted red peppers, a cheesy tempeh Parmesan sandwich that can do double duty as lunch or dinner, and a crunchy baguette sandwich with creamy pesto and hard-cooked egg.
For heartier lunches, sad winter tomatoes get roasted to become more flavorful for a turkey club sandwich, and Welsh Rarebit comes with a creamy cheddar-stout fondue to pour all over the toasty bread and ham. It's time to make lunch the best meal of the day.
Your Lunch Plan
Things to Prep on Sunday
- Make the roasted tomatoes and bacon for the club sandwich.
- Boil the egg for the baguette sandwich.
- Cook the portobello mushroom.
- Toast the bread and assemble the sandwich when ready to eat.
- Sear the tempeh.
- Toast the bread while the tempeh is searing.
- Make the baguette sandwich.
Your Shopping List
This list of ingredients will make one of each kind of sandwich, with the exception of the Welsh Rarebit, which makes four sandwiches. Scale up what you need to buy if you would like to make more than one sandwich.
To buy at the store:
- Bacon slices (3)
- Thinly sliced roast turkey (3 ounces)
- Thinly sliced ham (4 ounces)
- Portobello mushroom (1; at least 3 ounces)
- Plum tomatoes (2)
- Baby spinach leaves (1/2 cup packed)
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves (2 leaves)
- Fresh chives (optional)
- Roasted red peppers (1/3 cup)
- Pesto (1 tablespoon)
- Tempeh (4 ounces)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (1 tablespoon)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- Sourdough sandwich bread (2 slices)
- Light rye sandwich bread (4 slices)
- White sandwich bread (3 slices)
- French or submarine sandwich roll (1)
- French baguette (5-inch piece)
- Tomato paste (1 tablespoon)
- Marinara sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Porter or ale (1/2 cup)
From your pantry (check to make sure you have enough):
- Large egg (1)
- Garlic cloves (1 1/2)
- Regular or vegan mayonnaise (6 tablespoons)
- Whole milk (1/4 cup)
- Unsalted butter (2 tablespoons
- Balsamic vinegar (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- Worcestershire sauce (1 teaspoon)
- Ground mustard (1 teaspoon)
- Dried oregano (1/4 teaspoon)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- All-purpose flour (2 tablespoons)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Fine salt
- Black pepper
(Image credits: Maria Siriano; Faith Durand)