When you first start cooking it's natural and tempting to work on the beautiful, complicated recipes you see in fancy cookbooks. What you soon discover, however, is that cooking has a lot of building blocks. Your favorite chicken tikka masala recipe, for instance, will benefit from you having previously made a simple dish of chicken thighs. So, let's start with essentials!
Here's what we think everyone should cook before they reach the age of 30. How many things have you made off this list?
What someone should cook before a certain age, obviously, has a lot to do with their diet. If you're vegan, gluten-free, or have food allergies, your list of must-make recipes is going to look a little different than this list.
I personally have a few years until I'm 30, and I've only made 24 things off this list. Since I've gotten into cooking, I haven't had access to a grill – so that leaves out the grilled burgers and steak. Will have to rectify that situation!
30 Things to Cook Before You're 30
Sauces, Vinaigrettes, and Dips
- Marcella Hazan's Famous Tomato Sauce
- The Perfect Guacamole
- How To Make Hummus from Scratch
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- How To Make Perfect Pesto Every Time
- How To Make Whipped Cream
Essential Breakfast Recipes
- How To Boil Eggs Perfectly Every Time
- How To Make a French Omelette
- Mushroom-Asparagus Frittata - Any simple frittata recipe will do
- Lofty Buttermilk Pancakes
Impress everyone with your perfectly boiled eggs. Watch the video!
Essential Meat Recipes
- How To Roast the Perfect Chicken
- Baked Salmon with Herbs & Lemon
- Lemon Thyme Chicken Thighs
- How To Cook Tender & Juicy Pork Chops in the Oven
- How To Grill Really Juicy Burgers
Classic Comfort Food Dinners
- How To Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- How To Make Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- How To Make Soup from Almost Any Vegetable
- How To Make Very Good Chili Any Way You Like It
- Pork Stir-Fry with Asparagus and Sugar Snap Peas - Any stir-fry, really
- How To Make Really Good Pizza at Home
Essential Dessert Recipes and Breads
- How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
- How To Make Banana Bread
- Blueberry Pie
- The Best Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- How To Make No-Knead Bread
- Chocolate Layer Cake
- Bittersweet Brownies with Salted Peanut Butter Frosting
What do you think are the essential recipes to make before you hit 30? Anything we missed on this list?