Even if you never eat dessert, you may find yourself taking part on Valentine's Day because desserts, and Valentine's Day, are all about indulgence. It might be one perfect chocolate truffle, or a big slice of chocolate-coconut cake, or (I confess) passing a pint of favorite ice cream back and forth. It's Valentine's Day — a day that celebrates the pleasures of being alive and full of love — don't miss out!
Chocolate Cake and Cupcakes
Nothing says Valentine's Day more than chocolate cake. Here are six of our favorites (two of them of the cupcake variety).
- Black Forest Cupcakes
- How To Make the Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Ina Garten's Devil's Food Cake
- How To Make Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Coconut Cake
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with Sour Cream Ganache Frosting
Cakes Without Chocolate
While chocolate cake rules on Valentine's Day, it could be that your sweetie doesn't like chocolate. These cakes are just as celebratory and enticing, but without the chocolate. Honey-apple, Creamsicle pudding, gingerbread red velvet — even their names are a seduction!
- Gingerbread Red Velvet Cake
- Honeyed Eggplant and Polenta Cake with Orange Mascarpone Frosting
- How To Make a No-Bake Icebox Cake
- Sara Moulton's Creamsicle Pudding Cake
- Riesling Rhubarb Crisp Layer Cake
- Honey-Apple Layer Cake
Puddings, Mousses, and Custards of All Sorts
Creamy, silken custards are a Valentine's Day classic. Think: panna cotta, crème brûlée, and puddings of all sorts.
- How To Make the Best Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Ricotta Mousse With Balsamic-Pepper Cherries
- Prize-Winning Peanut Butter Panna Cotta with Caramel Mousse
- How To Make Butterscotch Pudding from Scratch
- How To Make Creme Brûlée
- No-Bake Pumpkin Crème Brûlée
- Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Mixed Berry Compote
It's a revelation for some people, but desserts do not have to be full of dairy! In fact, some of our most delicious desserts have not one drop of dairy in them whatsoever. They remain sweet and decadent and perfect for Valentine's Day.
- How To Make Dreamy Dairy-Free Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan Chocolate-Almond Chia Pudding
- Sticky Orange Cake with Marmalade Glaze
- Chocolate Pudding Cups with Coconut Cream
A Tiny Indulgence
Sometimes you just want a little bite of something — preferably a decadent and rich confection that will melt in your mouth, like square of chocolate, a truffle, or a bit of fudge.
- How To Make Dark Chocolate Bites
- 5 Candy Bar-Inspired Truffles
- 4-Ingredient Funfetti Fudge
- How To Make the Easiest Chocolate Fudge