All too often I buy a couple bunches of herbs to use in a specific recipe, punch off a sprig or two, and then the rest gets forgotten about until it wilts and has to be tossed. Does this happen to you?
I hate wasting any food, especially fresh herbs, but it turns out I don't have to: There actually are a slew of great recipes that use way more than a few sprigs, saving me the guilt of throwing what's leftover in the trash (with the bonus of a delicious dish!).
From rosemary roasted potatoes and lemon-thyme chicken thighs, to tomato-basil morning muffins and a tropical cilantro smoothie, here are 25 recipes to call on when you've got herbs to spare.
A Bunch of Rosemary
Rosemary adds a woodsy, earthy note to savory dishes, whether it's roast chicken, a side of potatoes, or both.
- Caramelized Figs and Ravioli with Rosemary Brown Butter & Crispy Prosciutto
- How To Make Easy Rosemary Focaccia
- Feta-Brined Chicken Breast with Rosemary
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
A Bunch of Thyme
Thyme's bright aroma is slightly reminiscent of lemon, which means the two are always a perfect match.
- Lemon Thyme Chicken Thighs
- Sautéed Zucchini and Squash with Thyme and Feta
- Lemon-Thyme Bruschetta
- Onion-Thyme Jam
A Bunch of Basil
The easiest way to use up lots of basil is to blend some pesto, but there are many other creative ways to use it, including baking it into savory muffins.
- Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups with Ricotta and Herbs
- Savory Tomato-Basil Morning Muffins
- Herbed Gnocchi and Mushrooms
- How To Make Perfect Pesto Every Time
Chopped parsley adds a touch of freshness to just about any dish, but it's much more than a garnish. Try using the whole bunch of it to make a classic tabbouleh salad or a unique pesto.
- How To Make Tabbouleh Salad with Bulgur, Quinoa, or Cracked Wheat
- How To Make Classic Italian Gremolata
- Orzo Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, Pine Nuts, and Parsley
- Zucchini Noodle Salad with Parsley-Pistachio Pesto
A Bunch of Cilantro
If you bought lots of cilantro for taco night and have a good amount left over, know that you don't need to eat guacamole for days. Instead, make smoothies and salad dressing!
- Roasted Sweet Potato Slices with Cilantro Pesto
- Tropical Cilantro Smoothie
- Scallops with Lime & Cilantro
- Taco Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
A Mix of Herbs
Grab whatever odds and ends of fresh herbs you have in the kitchen and bring them together to make creamy dressings and dips, egg dishes, and more.