If you're on the hunt for cheap yet wholesome protein, the answer is beans! It doesn't matter if you choose to cook dried beans or opt for the convenience of cans — both are wallet-friendly options that can be transformed into hearty main dishes that satisfy just about any night of the week. We rounded up 20 of our favorite bean-centric recipes. Some are completely vegetarian, while others toss a little meat in the mix for flavor. Most are quick to prepare, including a recipe for black bean tacos that will truly only take you 10 minutes to whip up.
Recipes Featuring White Beans
Whether you call them white beans or cannellini beans, there's no denying the versatility of this creamy variety.
- Vegetarian Kale and Cannellini Bean Stew
- White Bean Burgers with a Caesar Twist
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale
- One-Pot Pasta e Fagioli (Italian Pasta and Bean Stew)
- Polenta with Swiss Chard and White Beans
Recipes Featuring Black Beans
Black beans are incredibly meaty given their petite size, which means they make for a great vegetarian filling for tacos and burritos. They love a hit of spice or heat, so these recipes often pack a big punch of flavor.
- 10-Minute Black Bean Tacos
- Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Baked Black Bean and Avocado Burritos
Recipes Featuring Kidney Beans
Kidney beans aren't just for chili — use them to make classic red beans and rice or a spicy Indian curry. We love how their starchy texture lends creaminess to every bite.
- Kidney Bean and Coconut Curry
- How To Make Red Beans & Rice in an Electric Pressure Cooker
- 3-Bean Israeli Couscous Salad
- Red Kidney Bean Curry with Rice (Rajmah Chawal)
Recipes Featuring Chickpeas
Okay, so technically it's a legume, but the mighty chickpea can do no wrong. Toss them into a dinner-worthy salad, simmer them in a soup, or shape them into crispy fritters!