Early September means one thing in my book: the arrival of apple season. This crisp fall fruit, in every shade of red and green, is just starting to hit the market. I want to get my fill any chance I can, but most of all I'm excited to work apples into my breakfast all fall long.
From muffins and quick breads, to egg bakes and pancakes, here are 20 ways to eat apples for breakfast.
Muffins, Quick Bread, and Beyond
If you ask me, there is no better time to take out your muffin tins and loaf pans! What better way to kick off fall baking than with a loaf of quick bread or batch of apple muffins? Just don't forget the streusel topping.
- Apple Zucchini Muffins
- Hearty & Healthy Apple Muffins
- Streusel-Topped Apple Pie Muffins
- Morning Glory Sweet Potato Muffins
- Brown Butter Apple Loaf
- Apple Butter Challah
- Apple Pie Breakfast Cookies
Pairing apples and oats is always a good idea whether served up warm in a bowl or baked into wholesome breakfast bars. Or, when you want to change things up, swap your regular oatmeal for a chewy farro breakfast bowl.
- Steel-Cut Oats with Maple-Roasted Apples and Cheddar
- Apple Pie Granola Bars
- Apple Farro Breakfast Bowl with Cranberries and Hazelnuts
Don't forget that there's also a place for apples in savory breakfast dishes as well. Their sweet flavor complements egg casseroles and savory recipes that use rich ingredients or salty meats, like bacon and sausage.
- Apple, Sausage, and Smoked Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- Bread, Sausage, and Apple Hash
- Crispy Turnovers with Apple, Bacon, and Caramelized Onions
If your one true apple-filled love involves apple pie, these are the breakfast treats for you.