The best way to start spring cleaning is with a little organization inspiration. If you've been less than motivated lately to tackle your kitchen's crumbs and clutter, you're probably still suffering from the winter doldrums. (Hey, it’s perfectly understandable.) But nothing takes us out of a cleaning funk quite like a gallery of 20 super organized kitchens, all taken from our Kitchen and House Tour archives. These are real kitchens, from real cooks. If they can do it, so can you!
A place for everything and everything in its place. That's the mantra of any cook with open shelving. But it really applies to all kitchen shelves, even those hidden behind cabinet doors. By grouping similar items together, assigning a particular place for every piece, and swapping out plastic packaging for containers, these cooks prove just how appealing and organized kitchen shelves can be.
- James' Beautiful Brooklyn Kitchen: IKEA's Grundtal shelving system really works here. So simple, yet effective.
- A Kitchen Island, More Storage, and a Home Office Workspace... All In One: These custom-built shelves serve as both kitchen storage, bar area, and a home office — and look good doing it.
- Joy Cho's Grown-Up Candyland Kitchen: A pastel color palette keeps these shelves bright and fresh.
- Briana & Dominic's Beautifully Designed and Organized Open Kitchen: The slightly off-kilter arrangement of the wooden shelves is an unexpected touch, but the stacked white plates, labeled glass containers, and designated dish towel hooks are go-to ideas.
- An Always-Changing California Kitchen: When collections are grouped together, they look intentional, not messy...
(Image credits: Andrea Sparacio; Bethany Nauert; Leela Cyd; Adrienne Breaux; Ashley Poskin; Erika Tracy; Jill Slater; Marcia Prentice; Dom Cordilla; Lucy Hewett; Amy Herr; Tara Austen Weaver; Gina Biancaniello; Kim Lucian; Chris Perez; Rebecca Proctor)