• 1 Plastic wrap has only been around since 1953. What did we do without it? It's interesting to think of it as something that has really changed our kitchens; it preserves, covers, and seals in a way we take for granted.
• 2 Air conditioning makes life bearable in hot climates (I lived in Orlando for five years and I know from experience). Think how hot kitchens must have been in the summers before AC! But have they become less friendly since its advent?
• 3 Silpat has brought artisan pastry-making and baking to the masses, argues Gourmet. It's still the most popular silicone product for the kitchen.
• 4 Dishwashers may be controversial (water-wasting, time-sucking extravagances, perhaps) but they are enormously popular. How have they changed how we cook?
• 5 The Internet has changed the way we cook! We wouldn't be writing this for you to read without the internet, so obviously we are fans. You?
Take a look through the whole list of 20 tools and technologies here:
• Read it: 20 Tools and Technologies That Changed the Way We Cook at Gourmet
...and tell us: what was left off, and is there anything you think doesn't belong here?
(Images: Romulo Yanes for Gourmet)