As snow blankets the East, and as the West Coast becomes the Wet Coast, talk of grilling and eating outdoors brings nothing but a hollow laugh. It is cold and wet out there; grilling seems far away. But now is exactly the right time to revisit June, and to remember the warmer times that are coming. They are not so far away after all, and when they do return, be prepared! Here are 20 tips and recipes to bookmark now for sunnier days.
• 1 Fish and Shrimp on the Grill: 8 Quick Recipes for Summer
• 2 A Barbecue Lunch in a Jar: With Lemonade Too!
• 3 Smoky Summer Recipe: Grilled Guacamole
• 4 How To Grill Pizza
• 5 Always Good: Classic Dishes to Celebrate the 4th
• 6 Grilling Tip: Place Quick-Cooking Foods Up Front
• 7 Munch & Mingle: Grill Food You Can Eat with Your Fingers
• 8 Can I Make Brownies on the Grill or Stovetop?
• 9 Summer Grilling: 101 Fast Recipes from Mark Bittman
• 10 Outdoor Cooking with Dutch Ovens
• 11 Grilling Tip: Rack Your Meat While It Rests
PICNICS & EATING OUTSIDE
• 12 Outdoor Dining: Make an Outside Kit!
• 13 Does the Five-Second Rule Still Apply Outside?
• 14 10 Pieces of Inspiration for Planning Your Summer Picnics
• 15 15 Fresh Picnic Salads for the 4th of July
• 16 No Yard? Ways to Still Enjoy Dinner Outside!
• 17 You Open It! How to Un-Stick a Sticky Cap
• 18 10 Things To Eat — Even When it's Too Hot to Eat!
• 19 What Are Some Good Simple Meals for a Family Vacation?
• 20 Bonfire Party Foods
• 21 Camp in Style: Luxury Outdoor Gear from Snow Peak
• 22Looking for Interesting, Unusual BBQ Side Dishes
• 23 Perfect for Picnics: Shiny, Happy Tableware from Rice DK
• 24 Flickr Find: Dry Ice Lemonade
• 25 Backyard Dinner Parties: Pretty Things to Hang from Trees
• 26 Weekend Meditation: Summer Solstice
• 27 On Growing Food
• 28 Foraging and Jam: Two T-Shirts for Home Canners
• 29 Seasonal Pleasures: The First Tomato of the Year
• 30 Good Idea! Transportable Herb Garden
• 31 From the Herb Garden: Lemon Thyme
• 32 Garden Labels from Wooden Spoons
• 33 The Pea Feast: English Peas, Straight from the Garden
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's end-of-year roundup! We are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the last year, including lots of recipes. We are also shaking out our reader mailbag, and giving you a few more great guest posts from our friends.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits)