Do you get stumped for good lunch ideas, falling back on the same unsatisfying sandwiches and cans of rewarmed soup? So do we. So let's talk about some fresh options, like a grain salad tossed with creamy bits of avocado, and whole wheat wraps filled with sweet potatoes. Let's consider this hearty roasted broccoli soup that doesn't come from a can and an extremely tasty chickpea twist on the classic tuna fish sandwich. We have a whole month's worth of work-week lunches up for grabs today — which one will you be making first?
These lunch recipes fall into two categories: those you can assemble quickly using just a few ingredients and those that make one big batch that will feed you all week long. The "quick to assemble" lunches, like wraps and salads, can be made even easier by making sure all the ingredients are prepped ahead: greens washed and dried, egg and tuna salads mixed, raw veggies chopped, and so on. Make the big batch recipes, like soups and grain salads, on Sunday afternoon and pack them away into single-serving containers that are easy to grab and go.
We also know that everyone has very different needs when it comes to their lunches: ones that need to keep unrefrigerated, ones that don't need reheating, ones that can be eaten with one hand while grading papers at your desk. We've included a good variety here so there's something for everyone. If you feel like you need something a little more to round out your lunch, think about adding a hardboiled egg (good with grain salads!) or a handful of crackers (good with soups!).
What are your favorite make-ahead lunches?
- 1 Chickpea of the Sea Sandwich (Vegetarian Tunafish)
- 2 Golden Quinoa Salad with Lemon, Dill & Avocado
- 3 Spicy Lentil Wraps with Tahini
- 4 Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 5 Tacos with Roasted Winter Vegetables and Red Cabbage Slaw
- 6 Colorful Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
- 7 Apple, Arugula, and Chickpea Wraps
- 8 Farmer's Lunch Sandwich
- 9 Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado, and Parmesan
- 10 White Chicken Chili
- 11 Pasta Salad with Veggies, Cheese, and Greens
- 12 Gimbap - Korean Seaweed and Rice Rolls
- 13 Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Kale Whole Wheat Pockets
- 14 Roasted Eggplant Salad with Smoked Almonds & Goat Cheese
- 15 Wheat Berry Salad with Blood Oranges, Feta & Red Onion Vinaigrette
- BOTTOM ROW
- 16 Chickpea Pita Pockets with Greens and Minted Yogurt
- 17 Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
- 18 Lemony Eggless Egg Salad
- 19 Cuban Black Bean Soup
- 20 Whole Wheat Pita with Kale and Asiago
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)