Pasta is the kind of comfort food that knows no season. Whether it's 10°F or 100°F outside, pasta always has a place on the table; it's all about the way you prepare it. So right now, when the mercury is rising high, you want light sauces, nutty pestos, and a balance of chewy pasta with farm-fresh summer veggies.
From spaghetti tossed with lemony pesto and almonds, to a bowl of sausage penne, and from no-cook tomato sauce to gnocchi with squash and sweet corn, these recipes prove that pasta is the way to do right by your summer vegetables.
Summer is the best time for light, nutty pesto tossed with a big pile of pasta. Of course, you can go the traditional route with a classic basil pesto, but with so many variations, this is one time to branch out and get creative. Take advantage of other summer greens with an arugula pesto, or dive into the bounty of fresh herbs to make a parsley or mint variation.
Pasta Dinners Featuring Pesto
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Corn & Parsley Pesto
- Lemony Pesto Pasta with Edamame & Almonds
- Nutty Arugula Pesto with Penne
- Pasta with Mint Pesto, Peas and Ricotta Salata
- Tagliolini with Almond Pesto and Fava Beans
Let this week's pasta night incorporate the ripe veggies that make summer so wonderful. When you want to keep dinner quick and simple, pasta with a no-cook tomato sauce is the ideal meal. You can also toss those long strands of fettuccine with carrot ribbons, or top your pasta with a bright broccoli and feta sauce.
- Pasta with No-Cook Tomato Sauce
- Broccoli & Feta Pasta Sauce
- Gnocchi with Squash & Sweet Corn
- Rozanne Gold's Bucatini with French Breakfast Radishes, Bacon & Greens
- Carrot Ribbon Fettuccine
- Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers, Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Brie
- Lemony Ricotta Pasta with Basil
- Spaghetti with Mascarpone, Meyer Lemon, Spinach, and Hazelnuts
- Tomato, Broccoli & Mozzarella Pasta Casserole
If you like a little meat with your pasta dinner, don't be shy about tossing in some chicken or sausage. And for a lighter (yet still indulgent) meal, go for the shrimp pasta with white wine sauce.