I believe nothing comes with greater anticipation than tomato season. Once I see those first red glimpses at the farmers market, I know summer has most definitely arrived. I plan to get my fill from now through Labor Day, which means plenty of mains, sides, salads, and more that praise the juicy tomato.
Here are 20 of my favorites, from tomato-mango salsa to fresh tomato risotto to tomato cobbler with cornmeal-cheddar biscuits.
Main Dishes Featuring Tomatoes
When summer tomatoes finally arrive, it's hard not to want to just eat them out of hand. But, in my opinion, the best way to get your fill is by putting them at the center of your main course. Roast them, whiz them up into soup, or turn them into the easiest no-cook tomato sauce.
- No-Cook Tomato Sauce
- 20-Minute Fresh Tomato Risotto
- Polenta Tart with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Tomato Cobbler with Cornmeal-Cheddar Biscuits
- 15-Minute Fresh Tomato and Feta Tart
- Pan-Seared Chicken Thighs with Blistered Tomatoes & Basil
- 10-Minute Garlicky Tomato Spaghetti
- How To Make Easy Gazpacho
Tomatoes on Bread
Pile some sweet tomatoes on good bread and you have one seriously wonderful thing. Adding cheese to the mix won't hurt either.
- How To Make the Best Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1-Minute Tomato Sandwich
- Blistered Tomato Toasts
Forgo the lettuce and let tomatoes star in summer salads this time of year. Or go ahead and turn them into a juicy side dish or fresh salsa. The thing about tomatoes in season is that it doesn't take a lot of work to turn them into something spectacular.