Soup is my favorite thing to eat this time of year, but it's not always enough to make a complete meal (sorry, lentil soup). Sandwiches and big salads are great additions, but sometimes you want soup to be the star of the hour. That's where these 19 side dishes come into play.
From bacon and cheddar cornbread and garlicky roasted broccoli to grown-up tater-tots, these meal additions will support your January soup needs. Put 'em in, coach!
Your side dish of choice, of course, is going to depend on the type of soup you're making. If you have a relatively smooth soup, like tomato, you might want something with great chewy texture like a grain salad. If your soup calling leads you to a turkey tortilla number, then maybe you want to take it easy with pan-seared butternut squash. The choice is yours, dear friend.
19 Sides That Make Soup a Meal
Here are the side dishes that will make a simple soup into a great meal. Do you have any favorites?
- Pan-Seared Butternut Squash with Balsamic & Parmigiano Shards
- Fiery Kale with Garlic and Olive Oil
- Garlicky Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Green Beans with Harissa
- Spaghetti Squash with Ricotta, Sage, and Pine Nuts
- Slow-Cooked Kale with Smashed Garlic & Red Onions
- Couscous Salad with Butternut Squash and Cranberries
- Arugula & Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
- Whole Wheat Couscous with Cherries & Arugula
Potatoes & Bread
- Double Corn Bread with Smoked Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Roasted Potatoes with Bacon & Brussels Sprouts
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- How To Make Pull-Apart Cheese Bread
- Skillet Cornbread with Bacon & Cheddar
- Roasted Sweet Potato Slices with Cilantro Pesto
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Grown-Up Tater-Tots