Thanksgiving is a heavy meal. There's a sea of carbs (which we love) and desserts (which we double love) to be traversed on The Big Day. But the salad is your place to play and get creative. Who cares about the salad on Thanksgiving, you may ask. If you do it right, it will be a highlight of the meal — a colorful respite between the mounds of mashed potatoes and stuffing.
From lighter side salads with arugula and fennel, to hearty salads with roasted cabbage slaw and hazelnuts, to wonderful grain salads with golden beets and barley, we have 18 fresh options to choose from for Thanksgiving dinner.
Want to make your side salad the day before Thanksgiving? No problem. Try any of the hearty salads with leafy greens or the grain salads. They won't let you down.
Light Side Salads
- Arugula & Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Lemony Green Salad with Radicchio & Pepitas
- Apple Cabbage Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
- Light & Easy Broccoli Salad
- Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
Hearty Salads & Slaws
- Collard Green Slaw
- Cabbage Slaw with Ginger-Tahini Dressing
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives & Parmesan
- Late-Winter Salad with Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
- Chickpea Salad with Red Onion, Sumac, and Lemon
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Hazelnuts & Brown Butter Dressing
- Green Goddess Quinoa Salad Bowl
- Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Red Quinoa & Ricotta Salata
- Golden Beet and Barley Salad with Rainbow Chard
- Grain Salad with Mango, Sprouts & Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Mediterranean Freekeh Salad with Collard Greens and Chickpeas
- Chopped Kale, Farro & Chickpea Salad