Chickpeas are such a versatile thing in the kitchen: You can eat them hot or cold, canned or dried, and they can act as the star of the meal, or a support. You can roast chickpeas and add them to salads, use them as a substitute for croutons in soups, or turn them into a simple snack with big flakes of sea salt. And of course you can always purée them straight from the can to create silky-smooth hummus (the best).
Is there anything the mighty chickpea can't do? These 17 recipes highlight this kitchen staple in all its varied and delicious roles.
What are your favorite recipes that involve chickpeas? Anything unique or unusual?
- Chickpea, Barley, and Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Mint and Feta
- Chickpea Salad with Red Onion, Sumac, and Lemon
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Couscous Salad
- Warm Chickpea Salad with Cumin & Garlic
- Mediterranean Freekeh Salad with Collard Greens and Chickpeas
- Chopped Kale, Farro & Chickpea Salad
Soups and Sandwiches
- A Tuna Fish Recipe for Vegetarians:Chickpea of the Sea
- Chickpea Pita Pockets with Greens & Minted Yogurt
- Spring Turnip Soup with Garlic Chickpea Croutons
Snacks and Appetizers
- How To Make Hummus from Scratch
- Roasted Jalapeño & Lime Hummus
- Roasted Curried Chickpeas with Rosemary and Thyme
- Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon
- Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
- Tofu Chickpea Stir-Fry with Tahini Sauce
- Chickpeas, Kale, and Sausage with Oven-Baked Egg
- Couscous With Chickpeas, Fennel, and Citrus
- Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots