Now that all the summer produce is available, it’s too hot to turn on the oven. What a tease! If you find yourself making too many a raw salad, smoothie, or even eating straight-up popsicles for dinner, it’s time to talk almost no-cook summer dinners. The ideal lazy summer meal is full of seasonal vegetables or fruits, requires little (or no) oven time, and is less fussy than all those cold-weather meals. Up for the challenge? We have 17 delicious ideas to make it easy for you.
Here are 17 no-sweat suppers to see you through the rest of summer, including a garlicky grilled kale salad (keep the heat outside!), an easy sautéed zucchini with chorizo and lime, and a cold lentil salad with cucumber, feta, and olives.
What are your favorite meals to make when it's just too hot to cook?
Why they're great: Some have grains, some don't. All have lots of vegetables, which makes them the perfect summer dinner, as they won't bog you down.
- Cold Lentil Salad with Cucumbers and Olives
- Succotash Salad
- Tomato & Anchovies with Bread Crumbs, Basil & Red Onion
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Couscous Salad
- Summer Farro Salad with Tomatoes, Cucumbers & Basil
- Green Goddess Quinoa Salad Bowl
Why it's great: Keeps the heat outside.
- Garlicky Grilled Kale Salad with Grilled Bread
- Blackened Beer-Brined Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Steaks
- Thai Grilled Steak Salad
Why they're great: Add as many raw or cooked vegetables to these pastas as you like! Whatever you have on hand.
- Gnocchi with Squash & Sweet Corn
- Cold Noodle Salad with Creamy Peanut Sauce
- Soba, Sesame and Carrot Salad
Why they're great: Won't heat up your home, but you still get a satisfying hot meal.