Before you go on vacation, what do you do? If you are like me, you probably clean out your fridge, empty your trash cans, and try to straighten up a little bit. Coming home to spoiled milk and smelly garbage is no fun! Now that I'm a mom, I add one more thing to my pre-vacation to-do list: I always (always!) stock the freezer. It takes a little forethought and planning, but it's the very best gift I give myself before vacation.
From single-serve oatmeal to spinach-feta wraps, here are some of my family's post-travel freezer favorites (without any mention of frozen waffles).
You could stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables such as bananas, pineapple, peaches, blueberries, spinach, or kale — or you could do yourself a solid (or a liquid?) and make it even easier on yourself.
Option 1: Pre-blend some smoothies.
Option 2: Make smoothie packs (i.e., put all the ingredients for your smoothie into individual muffin tins and freeze them).
Either way, your body will thank you.
- Make-Ahead Blueberry Smoothies
- Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- Raspberry Rosewater Smoothie
- Creamy Orange Date Smoothie
- Black and Blue Power Smoothie
Soups & Sandwiches
The pairing of soup and a sandwich is always a winner, so I make sure my freezer is stocked with them. Most soups freeze well, and bread defrosts quickly, meaning your hunger pangs will be sorted in seconds.
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
- Freezer-Friendly Spinach-Feta Wraps
- How To Make Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches
- How To Make Freezer Club Sandwiches
As far as sustenance goes, oats are a sure bet. Oatmeal with mix-ins? A hundred percent. And who doesn't love breakfast cookies? I'm also a fan of quinoa, which can go savory (fry it up and put an egg on it it) or sweet (add butter, maple syrup, and frozen bananas).
- Frozen Single-Serve Oatmeal with Almonds & Dried Cherries
- Spiced Carrot Oat Breakfast Cookies
- How to Freeze & Thaw Rice, Quinoa & Other Whole Grains
I know, you know, and your mom knows that casseroles are the ideal freezer meal.
- Tomato, Broccoli & Mozzarella Pasta Casserole
- Chile & Sausage Oven Frittata
- Cheesy Vegetarian Lasagna
- Lighter Baked Mac and Cheese
What are your go-to freezer meals? Tell us in the comments below.