If the idea of a whole grain breakfast sounds like something boring that your doctor might recommend, think again. These recipes are full of flavors that pop and whole grains that satisfy our under-caffeinated early morning cravings.
What about a warm bowl of mixed grains, topped with berries and crunchy hazelnuts? Or a quick omelet filled with last night's quinoa? Or if you just need something to grab-and-go, a no-bake sunflower oat bar does just the trick. Whatever your morning routine looks like, there's a breakfast here that will help get it started off right.
Whole grains can mean anything from old-fashioned rolled oats to the crispy rounds of cornmeal polenta pictured above. They're a diverse bunch, which means we rarely lack for inspiration.
If oatmeal is your breakfast mainstay, we have a few recipes for both your familiar porridge and for using those oats in satisfying bars to eat on the go. Farro and quinoa are two dinner table staples that can be transformed by the sweeter, lighter flavors of breakfast. And let's not forget about rice! White or brown rice can go into breakfast burritos or be used to make a version of our Indian poha recipe.
Any whole grain breakfast recipes to share? What are your favorites?
- 1 Breakfast Grain Salad with Blueberries, Hazelnuts, and Lemon
- 2 Eggy, Crispy Polenta with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- 3 Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins
- 4 Crunchy Granola Bars
- 5 Breakfast Poha
- 6 Omelet with Quinoa, Sundried Tomatoes, Spinach & Goat Cheese
- 7 Apple Farro Breakfast Bowl with Hazelnuts and Cranberries
- 8 Rye Toasting Bread with Cherries and Pumpkin Seeds
- 9 Steel-Cut Oats with Maple-Roasted Apples and Cheddar
- 10 Vegan & Gluten-Free No-Bake Sunflower Oat Bars
- 11 Hearty & Healthy Apple Muffins
- 12 How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
- 13 Hazelnut Cherry Meusli
- 14 Overnight Oatmeal with Apricots and Buttermilk
- 15 Kale, Bacon & Egg Whole Wheat Breakfast Sandwich
Related: Why Pizza Makes the Best Breakfast
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)