Corn on the cob may start showing up in grocery stores sometime around Memorial Day, but it's really all a tease. Tempted as I may be, I hold my distance until right around now. And it's always worth the wait. This is the time when those ears of perfect sweet summer corn — with firm, crisp kernels — make their way to the market. And it only gets sweeter and more delicious through August and the rest of the summer.
Once you've had your fill of eating all that corn straight off the cob, here are 15 delicious ways to put it to use.
First, it's important to get the basics down, like the easiest way to cook corn on the cob, and how to shuck and cut the kernels off the cob without making a total mess.
Sweet corn is one of the joys of the summer. From salads to side dishes, make sure to take advantage of this seasonal treat in every way possible.
Corn on the Cob Basics
- How To Shuck Corn Quickly & Cleanly
- How To Cook Corn on the Cob
- How To Cook Corn on the Cob in the Microwave
- 3 Mess-Free Ways to Cut Corn off the Cob
Sweet Corn Salads
- Grain Salad with Tomatoes, Corn, and Basil
- Quick Balsamic Quinoa Salad
- Herbed Sweet Corn and Tomato Salad
- Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
Sure, corn on the cob can hold its own as a side, but it can also do a whole lot more. Cut those crisp kernels off the cob and really put them to work. It's such a versatile vegetable that works in so many different dishes, from curried corn to Tex-Mex rice to a comforting corn bake.
Corn-Filled Side Dishes
There's definitely no shortage of ways to incorporate sweet summer corn into your meal. From pasta to pizza, there's always a place for corn at the table.
Main Courses Featuring Sweet Corn
- Zucchini Noodles with Tomatoes and Corn
- Corn, Tomato & Black Bean Tostadas with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Corn & Parsley Pesto
- Southwestern Pizza with Black Beans and Corn
- Pan-Fried Chicken Breasts with Corn & Tomato Summer Salad
- Gnocchi with Squash & Sweet Corn
- Grilled Cherry Tomato, Corn, and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Farro Risotto with Corn and Tomatoes