Beans! Whether we're talking black beans, white beans, or even heirloom beans, beans make up some of the most satisfying meals in our repertoire. Add this to the fact that these humble legumes are packed with protein and cost much less than meat, and we have to wonder why we don't eat them more often. Well, here are 15 very tasty ways to stop wondering and start eating!
If you have the time over the weekend, making a pot of beans from scratch is very easy and gives you beans with much better flavor and texture than you'll get from a can. Our favorite method is this stove-top technique:
This said, cans of store-bought beans are often what make a quick and easy weeknight meal truly quick and easy. If cooking meals with beans is a new thing for you, try a few different brands to find the ones you like the best -- not all canned beans are created equal and not everyone has the same preferences for taste and texture.
Once you have your beans, it's time to start using them. Soups are often the first things that come to mind, and Cuban Black Bean Soup and Melissa Clark's Ham Bone, Greens, and Bean Soup are two of our favorites. But beans can be used in surprising ways too, like on a Southwestern-inspired pizza or mixed with shaved fennel for a side salad.
What are your favorite meals with beans?
- Crispy Pan-Fried Beans with Wilted Greens
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale
- Black Bean Edamame Burgers
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Lemon-Braised Chicken & Beans with Mint Pesto
- Southwestern Pizza with Black Beans and Corn
- How to Make a Very Good Chili
- Cheesy Panade with Swiss Chard, Beans, and Sausage
- Ham Bone, Greens, and Beans Soup
- Chipotle Chicken Fajitas with Creamy Black Bean Spread
- Spinach, White Bean, and Taleggio Pizza
- One-Pot Pasta e Fagioli
- Slow-Cooker Black Bean Enchiladas
- Cauliflower, Fennel & White Bean Winter Salad
- Bean, Bacon, and Butternut Squash Soup with Swiss Chard
(Images: See linked posts)