Homemade snacks are the best when traveling. They're a little reminder of home and they beat anything you could find at the airport or gas station to tide you over for your next meal. The best kinds of snacks are the ones that you can just throw in your bag and not worry about keeping cold in the refrigerator.
We've rounded up a few of our favorites, from a classic chewy granola bar, to protein-heavy jerky, to some sweet treats like Nutella puppy chow!
Another option besides homemade snacks, of course, is some fresh fruit or vegetables. Especially during the summer months when everything is in season, produce is a great snack idea as long as it doesn't smell and you don't need a knife to cut it up or any kind of utensil to enjoy the snack.
What are your favorite snacks to take on a trip that don't need to be pu in the fridge?
Carbs for Energy
- Cakey, Oaty Energy Bars Packed with Fruits & Seeds: This is a classic chewy granola bar with lots of great texture
- Curry Coconut Savory Granola: Something a little more exotic than your normal granola
- How To Make Crackers at Home: Something classic you need in your pantry, great for on-the-go.
- Hazelnut-Cocoa Granola Bars with Dried Figs: An granola bar with CHOCOLATE. It's kinda amazing.
- Harvest Crackers with Cranberries, Pecans & Rosemary: Fancy, kinda. But totally worth the extra effort.
Snacks With a Little Extra Protein
- How to Make Easy 3-Ingredient Energy Bars at Home: You only need three ingredients for these things. So easy.
- Homemade Jerky in the Oven: For all that extra energy you need for hiking or what have you.
- Curry-Roasted Pistachios: Pistachios are the best. Curry is the best. What more do you want in a snack?
- Deluxe Tropical Trail Mix: Nuts, seeds, dried fruit – it's the perfect balance for all your snacking needs.
- Milk and Honey Peanut Butter Balls: Peanut butter is the ultimate energy boost IMO.
Something on the Sweeter Side
- Dark Chocolate & Nutella Puppy Chow: You guys. YOU GUYS. You need to make this delightful chocolate-y snack for your next adventure.
- Muesli Snacking Cookies: cinnamon and honey and nut buter. So comforting.
- Salted Dark Chocolate Popcorn: That perfect chocolate and salty thing.
- Yogurt-Covered Cranberries: These will last for three weeks out of the fridge!
- Homemade Cracker Jack: Classic for a reason.
For more ideas: → What's Your Healthiest and Most Reliable Travel Snack?