Tomatoes are here, gloriously in season. Have you been stocking up on juicy tomatoes at the farmers market? Here's a look back at some of our favorite tomato tips from our archives, including the best way to store tomatoes, the best tool for crushing them for sauce, and an extra-easy (and surprising) way to preserve them for winter.
- The best place to store tomatoes to keep them fresh and juicy.
- How to store leftover tomato slices.
- Got cherry tomatoes? Here's how to cut a lot of cherry tomatoes in half all at once.
- The best kind of knife for slicing tomatoes.
- How to ripen still-green tomatoes.
- Love green tomatoes? Here are some recipes for green tomatoes.
- The best tool for crushing tomatoes - you almost certainly have one already!
- The scientific reason why conventional tomatoes are often so tasteless. Buy heirloom!
- Tips for making the best tomato sauce you've ever had.
- A great way to preserve tomatoes for sauce: Freeze them!
- Why a wide pan is best for making tomato sauce.
- Broiled, roasted tomatoes: Here's how to roast tomatoes under the broiler.
- Tips and encouragement to help you can tomatoes this summer.
- Peeling tomatoes? Freeze them first to make peeling them a snap.
- How to identify real San Marzano tomatoes.
(Images: Faith Durand; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)