(Image credit: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-hack-nutrigrain-fruit-a-68712)
It may be 3 Square Meals
month here at The Kitchn, but I have a confession to make: I actually eat five or six
meals a day! A few years ago, I did away with lunch and replaced it with a series of smaller meals or snacks between breakfast and dinner. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but for me it was a life-changing move that keeps my blood sugar balanced and my energy level up. Whether you follow a similar eating pattern or just need something to power you through an afternoon slump, here are 15 of my favorite small meals and snacks. What are yours?
• 1 Nuts – A handful of savory nuts such as Roasted Almonds with Paprika and Orange or Rosemary Roasted Cashews
• 2 Whole grain bread with nut butter – A classic peanut butter sandwich (with or without jelly), or a variation with tahini or almond butter
• 3 Apples and peanut butter – Tasty and well-rounded!
• 4 Olives – Young, lightly brined olives like Castelvetranos are a great afternoon pick-me-up
• 5 Edamame – Protein-packed soybeans straight from the pod or in a salad of shelled edamame, olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs
• 6 Vegetables – Carrot sticks are fine, but I also like to mix it up with radishes, cherry tomatoes, jicama, or whatever is in season
• 7 Hummus – Something to dip those vegetables in; check out our homemade hummus tutorial
• 8 Fresh fruit – Seasonal fruit from blueberries to pears to clementines
• 9 Dried fruit – Dried apricots and raisins are two standbys
• 10 Apple chips – Crisp, homemade apple chips
• 11 Yogurt – Plain yogurt swirled with flax seeds, honey, jam, granola, or fruit such as rhubarb
• 12 Ricotta – Creamy, homemade ricotta drizzled with olive oil and eaten with bread or crackers
• 13 Trail mix – GORP (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts) or something fancier like these homemade trail mixes
• 14 Bars – Invaluable on days when I'm running between meetings; The Kitchn has a great trio of recipes from Crunchy Granola Bars to Dried Fig and Nut Bars and DIY Nutri-Grain Fruit and Nut Bars
• 15 Tea – For me, no snack is complete without a cup of tea; I keep a major stash of loose-leaf tea green, black, and herbal teas in my office drawer
Related: Eating at the Office: What's in Your Snack Drawer?
(Image: Emma Christensen)