The time in between Thanksgiving and the New Year can involve some pretty heavy meals. It's as if your casserole pans and cookie sheets are in constant rotation. And then there comes a moment where everyone's ready for a breath of fresh air, craving something a bit lighter.
2011 was a banner year for light, fresh salads and soups — not to mention gluten-free, sugar-free and generally health-conscious recipes — on The Kitchn. Our salad archives alone will keep you busy for weeks. So we thought the timing was right to offer some of our favorite lighter and healthier recipes of 2011. From baked oatmeal to white bean and roasted squash soup, we have a feeling you'll find something that calls to you.
• 1 Colorful Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
• 2 Baked Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oatmeal
• 3 Beet and Sweet Potato Stacks
• 4 White Bean and Roasted Squash Soup with Pistou
• 5 Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
• 6 Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing
• 7 Cornmeal Pancakes
• 8 Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Sformato
• 9 Braised White Beans
• 10 Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado and Parmesan
• 11 Red Potato Salad with Scallions and Radishes
• 12 Crisp Tuna Cabbage Salad
• 13 Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
• 14 Hiyayakko (Japanese Cold Tofu)
• 15 Vegan Tofu and Vegetable Pot Pie
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's Best of 2011 roundup! From December 19 through January 1 we are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the past year.
More of the Best of 2011
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits)