Lentils are an essential year-round pantry staple. When you need a quick dinner option that's also nutritious, or when you're trying to save some money but still need something delicious, lentils are there to show you the way. They are tiny kitchen miracles that make cooking easier and more enjoyable.
From a simple dinner of spiced lentils with egg, to a classic red lentil soup, to a vegetarian shepherd's pie, here are 15 recipes you should always have in your back pocket for weeknight meals.
There are many different kinds and colors of lentils. Yellow, red, and orange lentils are best for soups and stews because they tend to get mushy when cooked. Brown, green, and French lentils are best for salads, sandwiches, or really any dish where you want a firmer lentil texture.
My favorite lentil recipes are warming and simple. I love adding some herbs to cooked lentils and a fried egg. I also highly recommend the chicken-lentil soup in this roundup, and can't say more good things about the warm French lentil salad with bacon and herbs.
15 Terrific Recipes with Lentils
- Chicken-Lentil Soup
- Lentil Soup with Lemon Yogurt Cream
- Fridge-Clearing Lentil Soup
- Pomegranate Lentil Soup
- Warm French Lentil Salad with Bacon & Herbs
- Cold Lentil Salad with Cucumbers and Olives
- Baked Red Lentil Falafel Salad
- Lentil, Mushroom & Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Tomato-Braised Lentils with Broccoli Rabe
- Spiced Lentils with Egg
- Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Sauce (this is great as an appetizer, or you can add the meatballs to spaghetti)
- Braised Lentils and Chard Topped with an Egg