While I sometimes bring previously hot leftovers from dinner to work, these dishes don't always taste amazing when reheated in the microwave. The answer, of course, lies in a slew of options for delicious cold lunches I can put together the night before.
We've done a few posts related to this subject in the past, but it's worth repeating in the new year while resolutions are in full swing. Always remember, your cold lunches don't need to mean boring sandwiches or measly salads. You deserve better than that.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Hearty Salad Recipes
My favorite hearty lunch salads always include either grains, beans, pasta, or nuts.
- Tortellini Salad with Figs, Walnuts, Prosciutto & Greens
- Warm Chickpea Salad with Cumin & Garlic
- Golden Beet and Barley Salad with Rainbow Chard
- Wheat Berry Salad with Blood Oranges, Feta & Red Onion Vinaigrette
- Roasted Garlic, Olive & Tomato Pasta Salad
Use good bread, lots of spreads, and a bunch of quality ingredients.
6. Roasted Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese & Arugula Sandwiches
7. Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion
8. Mozzacado Sandwich
9. Farmer's Lunch Sandwich
10. Curried Tofu Salad Sandwich
Other Totally Awesome Cold Lunch Ideas
For when you desperately need to break away from the sandwich/salad thing.
11. Whole Wheat Pita with Kale & Asiago
12. Butternut Squash, Sage, and Parmesan Pasties
13. Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato & Kale Whole Wheat Pockets
14. Kalamata Olive and Parsley Potato Salad
15. Spicy Lentil Wraps with Tahini Sauce
(Image credits: Emma Christensen; Faith Durand)