Another day, another snowstorm. A winter storm is about to envelop the East Coast, and you are probably planning to skip work tomorrow and avoid the wintry mix of unplowed roads and slushy sidewalks. Our strategy: stay in, stay warm, and mix up a cocktail instead of hitting the bar. But of course, if we're all staying indoors we can't be running out for some esoteric cocktail ingredient.
No matter what kind of liquor you have in your cupboards — gin, rye, bourbon, or another staple — we think we have a drink that can liven up your evening indoors. Here are 15 extra-simple cocktails, ingredients listed so you can see at a glance which one suits your snowed in liquor cabinet the best.
Most of these rely on citrus (bonus: avoid scurvy during winter hibernation!) and liquor cabinet basics like Angostura or orange bitters and simple syrup (get instructions for making simple syrup here).
- Clementines & simple syrup: The Clementine Cocktail
- PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur & club soda: Pomegranate Gin Fizz
- Campari & sweet vermouth: The Classic Negroni Cocktail
- Fernet Branca, sweet vermouth, & club soda: The Dowager Countess
- Lime juice & ginger beer: Classic Mamie Taylor Cocktail
- Sweet vermouth & bitters: Classic Rob Roy Cocktail
- Honey & lemon: The Gold Rush
- Amaretto, lemon juice, & simple syrup: Amaretto Sour with Bourbon
- Ruby port: The Kneecap Night Cap
- Orange bitters, sugar, & club soda: Orange Old-Fashioned
- Grapefruit juice & grenadine: The Blinker Cocktail
- Lime juice & agave syrup: Pure Mexican Margarita
- Orange juice, lemon juice, & Licor 43: The Midwinter Warmer
There you have it — our picks for a snowy weekend indoors. Add a good movie and some popcorn and you're set. Do any of these tickle your fancy? Or do you have another snow day cocktail?