One-dish dinners are so called because one big scoop contains everything you could want or need to fill your belly. Everything from the veg to the meat gets layered into the same skillet, pot, or casserole dish, and cooked together. Sometimes they're ready in a matter of minutes and sometimes they bubble away for hours. Either way, these are big dishes that will easily feed a crowd — all without a pile of pots and pans to clean up afterward.
Soups and stews are natural contenders for one-pot meals, but the category stretches to include hearty casseroles filled with pastas and grains, dishes of braised meats and vegetables, and many quick pasta and risotto dishes. Admittedly, some of the casseroles require a skillet to pre-cook a few of the ingredients and making them technically no longer one-pot meals in terms of preparation, but we'll forgive them since casseroles can be made ahead and stretched over so many meals (or so many mouths).
Frittatas might be one of our favorite quick weeknight one-skillet dinners, and the Sausage Artichoke, and Goat Cheese Bake we have here is one of our favorites. On the other end of the spectrum, the braised dishes like these Lemon-Braised Chicken Thighs and Braised Pork Shank take some time to make on a weekend afternoon, but they're fancy enough to serve at a dinner party.
And don't forget about the humble roast chicken! Cooked on a bed of onions and potatoes, this little bird might be the ultimate one-skillet supper.
What are your favorite one-dish dinners?
- 1 Lemon-Braised Chicken and Beans with Mint Pesto
- 2 Baked Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions
- 3 Grown-Up Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 4 Slow-Cooker Black Bean Enchiladas
- 5 Shepherd's Pie
- 6 Strozzapretti with Pecorino, Prosciutto, and Something Green
- 7 Individual Pot Roasts with Thyme-Glazed Carrots
- 8 Sausage, Artichoke, and Goat Cheese Bake
- 9 Braised Lentils and Chard Topped with an Egg
- 10 Bean, Bacon, and Butternut Squash Soup with Swiss Chard
- BOTTOM ROW
- 11 Cheesy Panade with Swiss Chard, Beans, and Sausage
- 12 How to Roast a Chicken on a Bed of Vegetables
- 13 Lentil, Mushroom, and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 14 Anelletti Pasta with Sausage and Greens
- 15 Braised Summer Pork Shank (Adaptable to Any Season)
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)