The fastest way to elevate a birthday cake, both literally and figuratively, is to serve it on a cake stand. Thankfully there are many beautiful options out there. If you're hesitant about adding a cake stand to your home because it seems like a unitasker, never fear — your cake stand can act as a plant stand when not serving up sweets, or be used on your bar to keep bitters and cordials within reach.
These 15 cake stands are our current favorites.
1. Mosser Crown Tuscan Cake Stands, $63 to $70 from Sur la Table: These simple, handmade flint glass cake stands are perfect for any kind of display. Available in a range of colors and sizes, you can find one that fits your kitchen style.
2. Charlotte Cake Stand, $40 from Crate and Barrel: A simple glass cake stand puts the focus on the cake, cupcakes, or pie you've made. Time to show off those decorating skills.
3. English Tea Cake Stands, $78 from BHLDN: With delicate patterns on the plate and gilded stands, these cake stands are the most glamorous choice for an afternoon tea or birthday party.
4. Canton Cake Stand with Dome, $33 from Fishs Eddy: This simple glass cake stand does double duty as a punch bowl as well. All you need to do is flip the lid and the base to serve up your favorite punch recipe. Just be sure you aren't trying to serve punch and cake at the same party.
5. Acacia Cake Stand, $40 from Crate and Barrel: Think of this more like a cake plate or platform. It's ideal for serving foods of all kinds, and because it has such a low profile, super easy to store.
6. Ivory Amelie Cake Stand, $10 to $20 from World Market: Adorably retro, these fluted metal cake stands are also some of the most budget-friendly. Bonus: They can be stacked if you're serving smaller cakes or cookies instead.
7. Ateco Cake Stand, $80 from Williams-Sonoma: Not only does this stand display your confections beautifully, but the spinning plate will also help you decorate with ease. With this you'll be one step closer to being a professional.
8. Byzantine Pedestal Cake Stand, $26 from Wayfair: There's nothing quite like marble when it comes to beautiful serving pieces, and this cake stand is no exception. We're partial to classic white, but it comes in three other colors as well.
9. Blue Toile Cake Stand, $43 from Fishs Eddy: Leave it to Fishs Eddy to have the best patterns around. This traditional toile cake stand is perfect for serving a small bundt cake (the stand is only 8 inches in diameter) at afternoon tea, or for stacking piles of finger sandwiches.
10. Grey Ceramic Cake Stand, $65 from Alder & Co.: If simplicity is your design aesthetic, this is the cake stand for you. The cool grey glaze of this stand is the perfect example of the style we know and love from Portland's Alder & Co.
11. Antiquarian Cake Stands, $18 to $38 from BHLDN: These mercury glass cake stands make any party (or weeknight) feel more festive. Plus, the three different sizes can be stacked for a dessert display as well.
12. Wood & Metal Pedestals, $149 for three from Wayfair: This set of three stands in varying heights is perfect for a full-on dessert buffet. If you're making lots of mini cakes, or you have an assortment of treats to set out, these are your best bet.
13. Presidio Cake Stand, $120 from Williams-Sonoma: If you're looking to splurge on a cake stand, look no further. This silver-plated cake stand is ideal for formal occasions. It also makes a perfect wedding gift for a bride and groom who are really into cakes.
14. Round Marble & Wood Pedestal Stand, $24 to $35 from World Market: We love the use of mixed materials in these cake stands. The cool marble plate is made less austere by the warm wood of the pedestal. They would also make great elevated cheese plates.
15. Acacia Wood Cake Stand, $49 from Kaufmann Mercantile: If you like the wood cake stand look and want something a bit more sculptural, this heavy-based cake stand is for you.