Dates are considered a secret weapon in my kitchen. While their creamy, chewy texture and subtle sweetness makes it easy to just pop them in your mouth, they are also a wonderful addition to recipes. I like sneaking them into smoothies, salads, and baked goods, or rolled up in thin slices of meat for an appetizer.
How do you use dates in your home cooking? Here are 11 recipes to help you use this sneaky fruit in your own kitchen.
There are, of course, many kinds of dates to choose from: dried of fresh, Madjool (sweet), Blonde, Honey, Thoory. All of these recipes call for dried dates, but most do not specify what kind of dried date. So go crazy! Pick up whatever dried date is available near you, try some new ones out if you can, and put your own spin on the recipes.
Here are 11 recipes to try that utilize dates, from snacks, to desserts, and wonderful salads:
Appetizers and Snacks...
- Medjool Date and Apple Charoset
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Almonds
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Energy Bars
- Kumquat Tarts with Almond-Date Crust
- Fruit Crumble with Oats & Dates (Gluten-Free, Nut-Free & Vegan!)
- Tahini-Date Salted Caramels
- Dairy-Free Banana-Date Cake
- Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing
- Orange, Almond & Date Salad
- Golden Quinoa Salad with Lemon, Dill & Avocado
- Big Green Salad with Shallots, Chicken, Smoked Almonds, Goat Cheese, and Dates
It's Reader Request Week at The Kitchn!
This post was requested by WHB