Last week, we explored Vegan Breakfast Ideas; now let's move onto lunch! Check out these 10 tasty and nourishing ideas for the midday meal and then share your own vegan-friendly tips in the comments!• 1 Bean dips and spreads – Use spreads like Hummus and Fresh Shell Bean and Sage Spread on sandwiches or as a dip for pita, crackers, or vegetables.
• 2 Chickpea sandwich – This Chickpea of the Sea sandwich filling can be made with vegan mayo or a vinaigrette in place of the mayo.
• 3 Couscous – Couscous is fantastic both warm and cool; try Israeli Couscous with Chard or Couscous with Raisins, Pine Nuts, and Capers.
• 7 Eggplant spread – Use sweet, smoky Baba Ghanoush as a spread for vegetable sandwiches and wraps.
• 4 Lentils and grains – We can never get enough of this balanced and filling Lentil Salad with farro, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
• 5 Maki sushi – Wrap seaweed and rice around cucumber, carrot, burdock, or other vegetables; see Make Vegetable Maki Sushi With Kids! and Umeshiso Maki Sushi for preparation and filling tips.
• 6 Protein-packed stews – If you have a thermos or access to a microwave, these stews would be delicious and nourishing: Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew, Sweet Potato and Tempeh Stew, Vegetarian Black Bean Espresso Chili (omit the honey or substitute maple syrup).
• 8 Soba – Japanese buckwheat noodles are so satisfying in dishes like Cold Soba, Sesame and Carrot Salad and Jackie's Cold Buckwheat Noodles with Julienned Vegetables (omit the egg).
• 9 Spring or summer rolls – Like sushi, you can fill spring or summer rolls with all kinds of vegetables and tofu; check out this refreshing recipe for Vegetable and Mint Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
• 10 Vietnamese noodle salad – Pack the noodles, tofu, greens, and sauce for Bún Chay separately and then toss them together just before eating.
Related: 10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas
(Originally published April 17, 2010)
(Images: Kathryn Hill, Dana Velden, Emily Ho, Emily Ho, Kathryn Hill, Emma Christensen, Faith Durand, Faith Durand, Elizabeth Passarella, Emily Ho)