Whether you're a committed vegan or just trying to eat lighter and healthier with less meat, eggs, and dairy, you don't have to worry about going hungry – or lacking flavor. In this roundup of vegan breakfast ideas and recipes, we've got everything from sweet breakfast bars to savory tempeh bacon, plus a book recommendation.
• 1 Breakfast bars – With a little advance planning, you can have breakfast bars to fuel you throughout the week. We're bookmarking these coconut, pumpkin seed, and almond Gluten Free Breakfast Bars from Elana's Pantry, as well as these Crispy Breakfast Bars with puffed cereal and dried fruit from Vegetarian Times.
• 2 French toast – Yes, vegans can have French toast! Instead of eggs and milk, try using ingredients like soy milk, silken tofu, bananas, or apple butter. For recipes, check out About.com, Care2, and Vegetarian Times.
• 3 Idlis – Made from fermented rice and urad dal (black lentils) these fluffy, savory South Indian cakes are often served for breakfast with chutney or sambar. For recipes, see Mahanandi and Chef In You.
• 5 Quinoa – We've sung the praises of quinoa many times, but usually in the context of dinner. After spotting this recipe for Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa at 101 Cookbooks, we think it's destined to become one of our favorite breakfast foods, too.
• 6 Rice – Rice is a common breakfast ingredient in many Asian cultures. We like the idea of going healthier with brown rice, and simmering it with apple juice or rice milk for a sweet porridge or pudding like this recipe from Choose Veg.
• 7 Scrambled tofu – An endlessly adaptable favorite. Crumble up some tofu (silken, firm, extra firm, whatever you prefer; just press and drain it if it's packed in water) and sauté it with herbs, spices, or vegetables. Stay tuned for a recipe later this week!
• 8 Sweet potatoes – A simple baked sweet potato is so satisfying and nutritious (and portable for those on the go!). You can also dress it up with maple syrup and nuts like this Sweet Morning Potato recipe (omit the yogurt or use soy yogurt).
• 9 Tempeh bacon – We know, real bacon lovers will tell you this doesn't come close, so just appreciate it for its own merits. Here's a recipe for nutty, smoky Tempeh Bacon from Vegetarian Times.
• 10 Vegan Brunch – OK, this is not a dish, but we had to squeeze in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch, a cookbook featuring homestyle favorites like omelets, waffles, and pancakes. Sample recipes may be found on the Post Punk Kitchen site.
Let's not stop at 10 ... Share your own vegan breakfast ideas in the comments!
(Originally published April 7, 2010)