The taste of a new dish and the inspiration it brings to our kitchens back home are quite possibly the best travel souvenirs we can think of. Even better is convincing a friendly waiter or agreeable host to scribble the recipe down for us. Here are ten of our very favorite recipes gathered from travels around the globe, from stuffed grape leaves in Tel Aviv to a refreshing Pimm's Cup in an English garden.
Some of these recipes are ones that we discovered on our own travels — like Faith learning to make classic French soufflés in a Paris kitchen and the real Greek salad Sara Kate was served on a beach on the Island of Kea. Others have been passed to us by friends and family who have lived abroad and were eager to help us do a little armchair traveling via the dinner table. For recipes like this, check out Grace Young's masterful lesson on Chinese stir frying and Emily's bowl of Filipino garlic fried rice.
Many of these might be recipes you've never heard of — that's good! Every trip, whether you board a plane or travel vicariously through our stories, should have an element of surprise and discovery.
What new foods have you fallen in love with while traveling?
- Israel: How to Make Stuffed Grape Leaves with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- England: Pimm's Cup for the English Gardener
- France: Paule Caillat's 3-Cheese Soufflé
- Greece: True Greek Paximadi Bread Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Capers
- Croatia: Croatian Stonksa Torta
- Thailand: Egg Noodles with Rich Chicken Curry Sauce (Khao Soi)
- India: South Indian Pongal
- The Philippines: Filipino Garlic Fried Rice
- China: How to Stir Fry Chicken
- The Congo: African Beef and Peanut Stew
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)