Starting a fire creates instant festive feels — that is, if you're lucky enough to have a functional wood-burning fireplace. But those of us who can't light up the logs (or have gas-powered flames) have to get crafty when we want that magical fire smell.
Where to turn? Fortunately a bunch of companies have started to bottle that signature campfire-like scent. So whether guests are coming over, or you just want to curl up on the couch and get your cozy on, there's a fire-scented candle, diffuser, or spray to set a wintry mood.
- Ski House Candle, $60 at LAFCO: We can't all afford a winter chalet. But splurging on a fancy soy candle that smells like burning wood and crisp mountain spruce? That's a little more doable. There's even a hand and bar soap version to match.
- Winter Wonder Incense Set, $14 at Anthropologie: Incense isn't just for college coeds and hippies. Try Illume's Woodfire scent, a cozy-smelling blend of amber, nutmeg, cedar, and vetiver with buttery leather undertones.
- Diptyque Feu de Bois, $62: The OG of smoky-scented candles is now available on Amazon Prime — perfect for last-minute types who need a dose of ambiance.
- Woodsmoke & Amber Room Spray, $22 at Sydney Hale Co.: A Virginia-based husband-and-wife team created this small-batch woodsy fragrant spray out of organic sugarcane alcohol. What's not to love? Mist your linens or sofa, or set a bottle out in the bathroom.
- Cozy by the Fire Candle, $28 at Yankee Candle: When you want a lot of burn for your buck, Yankee's 22-ounce jar delivers up to 150 hours. Cozy by the Fire evokes an outdoorsy, crackling fire smell with sweet hints of ginger, clove, and orange.
- Amber & Smoke Diffuser, $26 at Paddywax: For places where you can't burn a candle (ahem, dorms!), this vintage apothecary-inspired diffuser can pinch hit with its classic smoky scent.
- Elements Fire Candle Medium, $115 at Tom Dixon: High-design meets the fireside with this sleek candle that uses a complex blend of Cypriol oil, musk, and amber to create its smoky scorched timber scent. It's pretty pricey, but at least it burns for 40 hours.
- Capri Blue Fire and Firewood Fragranced Votives, $18 for 6 at Anthropologie: These little guys have the perfect throw for a powder room or even a master bath. Light a few for a fruity-meets-forest, subtly smoky smell.
- Hearth Reed Diffuser, $42 at Nest Fragrances: Frankincense (an essential oil that's believed to help relieve stress and anxiety) adds a little bit of old-world exoticism to this aromatic smoky blend.
- Firewood Travel Candle, $15 at Henri Bendel New York: Just in case you need a fiery fix when away from home, Bendel's unique blend of birch, cedar, and sandalwood will travel.