Creamy, sweet dulce de leche might be a favorite in countries like Argentina, where it's spread on toast for breakfast or sandwiched between shortbread cookies, but this caramel has been embraced by cooks everywhere in recent years. From dulce de leche cheesecake bars to four-ingredient salted coconut dulce de leche ice cream, here are 10 recipes to try, along with instructions for making your own dulce de leche from scratch. (It's easy!)
COOKIES & BARS
• Cinnamon Walnut Dulce de Leche Bars: Chewy, with a bit of crunch from the walnuts, and gooey in the middle with a layer of creamy dulce de leche.
• Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars at Bon Appetit: With a graham cracker crust, soft glaze of dulce de leche and sprinkling of fleur de sel, these bars hit the sweet-savory mark.
• Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies at Joy the Baker: So good with a little sprinkle of sea salt in the middle of each cookie.
FRUIT (AND VEGETABLE!) DESSERTS
• Simple Strawberry Dulce de Leche Shortbread Tart at Gourmet Live: Dulce de leche, soft whipped cream and fresh strawberries are layered on a cookie base.
• Roasted Apricots with Sugared Pecans and Dulce de Leche at Real Simple: Roasted apricot halves are topped with warm dulce de leche and toasted pecans in this simple dessert.
• Deep Dish Dulce de Leche Apple Pie at Recipe Girl: Because what goes better with apples than caramel and a flaky pastry crust?
• Corn Panna Cotta with Dulce de Leche at Bon Appetit: In this unusual dessert, sweet corn kernels and cobs flavor the panna cotta, which is topped with a creamy dulce de leche sauce.
• Dulce de Leche Roasted Banana Split at Food & Wine: Warm bananas roasted with dulce de leche, vanilla, cinnamon and rum create a sauce for vanilla ice cream.
• Dulce de Leche Biscoff Cookie Ice Cream at My Shiny Life: Two sweet obsessions in one scoop.
• Salted Coconut Dulce de Leche Ice Cream at Brittany Powell: A four-ingredient recipe for happiness.
How To Make Dulce de Leche• DIY Dulce de Leche Recipe
• Tip: Make Dulce de Leche in a Slow Cooker
• Shortcut Dulce de Leche
How do you use dulce de leche?
(Image: Faith Durand)