Last week we heard some requests for "appetizers without cheese". Yes, it is just about the easiest thing in the world to slap some goat cheese on a cracker and put an olive on top. Cheese makes appetizers easy. But let's move on, shall we? There is a wide world of spreads and dips beyond soft cheese and yogurt; here are 10 favorites that go big on flavor without any cheese. There are some old favorites here, but we've given them each a twist — extra-spicy hummus, grilled guac — and some others you may not have thought of. Many of these, like the bean dips, can be used just like cheese. Dollop a bit on a cracker and sprinkle crushed almonds on top. Or serve for dipping along with some chips.
10 CHEESE-LESS DIPS
• 1 Roasted Jalapeño & Lime Hummus - A spicy twist on the usual hummus.
• 2 Oven-Roasted Tomato Jam - Spread on crackers or tiny rye toasts.
• 3 No-Guilt Bean Dip - Yummy bean dip, without the cheese!
• 4 Grilled Guacamole - Smoky, full-bodied guacamole.
• 5 Fresh Shell Bean and Sage Spread - A simple bean dip.
• 6 D.I.Y. Baba Ghanoush - Baba ghanoush is creamy, smoky, and delicious.
• 7 Kalamata Olive Tapenade with Shallots - Tangy and piquant.
• 8 Roasted Mushrooms with Herbs - Scrumptious on toast!
• 9 Gabriela's Salsa Huevona (Lazy Salsa) - A fresh and simple salsa.
• 10 Savory Vegan Dip - It's very hard to describe just how luxurious this vegan dip is!
What's your favorite cheese-less appetizer or snack?
Related: 15 Essential Dips and Spreads for Summer Parties
(See linked recipes for full image credits)