Are you grilling out tomorrow, July 4th? Or maybe you're doing a more casual picnic — just you, a friend, a basket with some sandwiches, and bottle of Prosecco. If that's the case, let us offer a few ideas for sandwiches, from the sublime yet simple tomato-mozzarella sandwich, to a bánh mì stuffed with lemongrass tofu, to the classic farmer's lunch of apples, mustard, and cheese. Oh, and we throw in that famous Smörgåstårta (aka Sandwich Cake), just for fun!
• 1 Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich - A favorite from summers in Italy.
• 2 Bánh Mì with Lemongrass Tofu - The classic Vietnamese sandwich.
• 3 Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus and Pickled Onion Sandwiches - Fresh and colorful.
• 4 Farmer's Lunch Sandwich - Best with sharp cheddar and Granny Smith apple.
• 5 Thin-Sliced Roasted Pork Sandwiches with Southwestern Spices - A heftier sandwich.
• 6 Cheese and Onion Sandwich - A British-style sandwich with mayo.
• 7 Eggplant Caponata Sandwiches - This sandwich filling can also be served as a dip.
• 8 Dill and Yogurt Chicken Salad - I'm biased, but I think this is the best chicken salad!
• 9 Smoky Salmon BLTs - Substitute smoked salmon if you don't want to grill.
• 10 Avocado and Bacon Club Sandwich Cake - The famous sandwich cake!
What's your favorite sandwich for a picnic lunch? Me, I'm still partial to natural peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread. I love how the honey crystallizes in the warmth of the sunshine!
Related: Chicken Cordon Bleu-Croque Monsieur
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)