You've bought your turkey and picked your stuffing recipe. Pies are in the works and the potatoes are waiting to be scrubbed. What's left? ...Salad! This is perhaps the one dish of the whole Thanksgiving feast that doesn't come laden with tradition, so let's have fun with it! This year, we're bringing some color to the table. From this vibrant red cabbage salad to a warm millet salad studded with oranges, we have ten ideas for salads that pop.
We've developed something of a Kitchn tradition of spotlighting salads just before Thanksgiving every year. (Here's our round-up from last year!) With all the attention on the turkey and the pie, we think the humble salad deserves a little love. After all, it's nice to have at least one thing that doesn't come with a stick of butter and that adds some bright color to our plates!
The salads in this year's round-up are not only striking to look at, but they are some of our favorites from the past few months. There's a tossed barley salad with golden beets and rainbow chard along with a pale shaved fennel salad made bright with roasted cherry tomatoes. We also have a simple salad of emerald-green kale and another with chickpeas, red onion, and a squeeze of lemon. If you want a make-ahead salad, look to our chopped brown rice salad with grapes and pecans or our sorghum salad with spiced butternut squash.
As you're wrapping up your menu planning, we hope you find some inspiration here. And above all, we hope you have a very happy and delicious Thanksgiving.
- 1 Apple Cabbage Salad with Cider Vinaigrette
- 2 Chopped Kale, Farro & Chickpea Salad
- 3 Baked Goat Cheese Salad with Creamy Walnut Vinaigrette
- 4 Shaved Fennel, Roasted Tomato & Pistachio Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- 5 Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Red Quinoa, & Ricotta Salata
GRAIN & BEAN SALADS
- 6 Chopped Brown Rice Salad with Grapes and Pecans
- 7 Chickpea Salad with Red Onion, Sumac, and Lemon
- 8 Spiced Butternut Squash and Sorghum Salad with Raisins & Pepitas
- 9 Golden Beet and Barley Salad with Rainbow Chard
- 10 Warm Citrusy Millet Salad with Roasted Fennel and Kalamata Olives