Lucky Canadians! They're getting a jump on us Americans this coming Monday, with turkey, mashed potatoes, and pie before any of us have even considered what kind of cranberry sauce we're making this year. Or maybe you have — are you a seriously advance planner, when it comes to Thanksgiving?
Whether you're happily celebrating Thanksgiving in Canada next week, or getting ready for the American replay next month, here are ten favorite recipes — from the simplest way to roast a turkey, to the most transcendent mashed potatoes, to a fall salad to round things out.
I'm leading with this butternut squash casserole because it's just one of those dishes that captures everything I love about the Thanksgiving table — cozy gratin, autumn vegetables, beautiful color. There's plenty more that's strictly traditional in this list, too, like the best way to cook a turkey (we think, anyway), a tutorial on making gravy in case you want a refresher, and an updated but still decadent green bean casserole. Something for everyone!
- Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole with Herbed Bread Crumbs
- How to Cook a Turkey: The Simplest, Easiest Method
- How to Make a Quick Turkey Gravy
- How to Make Easy Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole with Mushroom Béchamel & Crispy Onions
- How To Make the Best Mashed Potatoes
- Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
- Winter Wheat Berry Salad with Figs & Red Onion
- Classic Pecan Pie (Without Corn Syrup)
What are you planning for Thanksgiving this year? What is the most essential part of the meal for you?
(Images: See recipes for full image credits)