Recently a friend told me she'd bought a magnetic knife strip ages ago but had yet to hang it in her kitchen because she didn't know where to put it. Sound familiar? If you can relate, it may surprise you to know that there are plenty of ways and places to hang a knife rack around the kitchen. Here are 10 ideas for starters:
10 Places to Hang a Magnetic Knife Rack
- Above the sink: This is where I hung my magnetic knife strip. Tucked up and behind the sink, it's safe and inaccessible to children, but easy to reach when I'm putting my knives away after washing and drying.
- Behind the stove. This makes good use of that oft-unused slice of wall right behind the stove.
- To the side of the stove. If you prep food near your stovetop, this orientation keeps your knives within easy reach.
- Underneath the cabinets. The solution for anyone who doesn't like the look of a knife strip! Get the space saving advantages without having to mount one out in the open.
- Inside the cabinet door. Another hidden storage trick! Via Turning It Home, the knife rack in this case is mounted on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door. (Although I'd imagine you'd have to be careful not to open or close the door too quickly lest the knives fall off!)
- On the wall as part of a larger grouping. If you have open shelving in your kitchen, group a knife strip in with other items hanging on the wall for a clean, organized look.
- On the backsplash. This is probably the most common way to hang a magnetic knife strip, particularly if you keep a chopping board or butcher block on your countertop. It keeps everything you need for your food prep in one place.
- On a small, otherwise unused wall area. Don't know what to do with that bare corner or the empty space above your storage cart? Hang your knife rack there!
- On the window frame. On the opposite spectrum, if you don't have any wall space to spare, mount a knife strip directly on your window frame.
- On the side of the cabinets. Cabinet sides are another under-used space, but they work well if you want to hang your knife rack in a higher, safer location.
Do you have a magnetic knife rack? Where did you hang it in your kitchen?