If you're a teacher, student, or parent, shocked into waking up early again after a summer of freedom, breakfast on these early mornings is all-important. But it's still summer! It's not time yet for baked oatmeal and heavy breakfasts to stave off the cold. Nourish yourself in the mornings with one of these lighter yet still satisfying summer breakfasts, from avocado pudding to mango smoothie to eggs baked in zucchini. TOP ROW
• 1 Banana Split with Yogurt and Jam - A really fun breakfast! Like its sweeter cousin, this one starts with a split banana, but it's topped with healthier plain yogurt and raw almonds (or any other crunchy nut).
• 2 Breakfast Salad - Toss together some of those good summer tomatoes, shreds of mozzarella, and some avocado and you have a filling breakfast salad. Put a poached egg on top to really round it out.
• 3 Mango Yogurt Smoothie - Creamy, cold, and not too sweet.
• 4 Avocado Breakfast Pudding (a.k.a. Vitamina de Abacate) - Milk and honey whizzed with avocado into a creamy breakfast treat.
• 5 Make Your Own Fruit-on-the-Bottom Yogurt Cups - Layer yogurt and fresh fruit in a jar, cap it, and tote it to school or work.
• 6 No-Cook Overnight Steel-Cut Oats - A heartier, chewier kind of muesli.
• 7 Breakfast Grain Salad with Blueberries, Hazelnuts & Lemon - Cool grains and fruit from the fridge, instead of hot cereal.
• 8 Quick, Easy and Moist Whole Wheat Muffins - Little packages of whole wheat goodness.
• 9 Eight-Ball Zucchini With Eggs Baked Inside - You can prep the zucchini shells the night before, then bake with an egg inside while you're in the shower.
• 10 Basic Oven Omelet - I like to make a big pan of this oven omelet on Sunday nights and throw in any fresh vegetables I have left over (shredded zucchini, chopped tomatoes). We eat it cold from the fridge on busy mornings.
What are your favorite breakfasts this time of year? Do you have any make-ahead tips for prepping breakfast ahead of time?
More breakfast ideas: 10 Hot Breakfasts for Cold and Busy Mornings
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)