A comforting, stick-to-your-ribs soup doesn't have to include meat. These 10 recipes use additions like beans, hominy, pasta, and even Korean rice cakes to make satisfying soups that won't weigh you down.TOP ROW
• 1 Pumpkin Tortilla Soup: Pumpkin, chunks of avocado and tortilla strips add texture and richness to this vegan, soy-free soup.
• 2 Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup): An aromatic, restorative soup.
• 3 Vegetarian Posole: This traditional hominy soup is bright with lime juice and can be made as spicy as you like.
• 4 Vegetarian Dduk Gook (Korean Rice Cake Soup): A vegetarian take on a traditional Korean New Year's soup, featuring rice cakes that are chewy, filling, and comforting.
• 5 Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew: A hands-off recipe that transforms humble, inexpensive ingredients into a stew that gets nothing but rave reviews in the comments.
• 6 Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup at 101 Cookbooks: Lentils and leafy greens will cure whatever ails you.
• 7 Minestrone Soup at Food 52: This bright, vegetable-packed minestrone is what all those insipid canned versions dream about being someday.
• 8 Chickpea and noodle soup with Persian herbs at the LA Times: The combination of noodles and chickpeas is hearty, and topping the soup with yogurt and fresh herbs keeps it from being too heavy.
• 9 Black Bean Soup with Chipotle and Toasted Cumin Seed Crème Fraîche at Smitten Kitchen: The toasty topping sets this version of black bean soup apart.
• 10 Miso Stew at Gourmet: This unusual stew combines a variety of nutritious sea vegetables with quinoa.
Are there any hearty vegetarian soups recipes you recommend?
Related: Decadent Soup Without the Cream: 10 Favorite Recipes
(Images: See linked Kitchn posts for full images credits; 101 Cookbooks; Food 52/Sarah Shatz; LA Times/Glenn Koenig; Smitten Kitchen; Gourmet/Romulo Yanes)