If you're hosting Thanksgiving this year, you've already got a lot on your plate. In addition to figuring out the menu, timing, and where everyone will sit for the big meal, there's also pressure to set a table that feels a little more special.
But don't stress about the table settings! Instead take inspiration from these 10 modern tables. Remember: Everyone is really there for the food, after all.
- Simple Greenery - HGTV: Layer your salad and dinner plates with a napkin and a small bundle of greenery. You can buy extra herbs from the grocery store or simply pick up a few bunches of greenery from the florist, and you're all set.
- Candles & Spices - The Idea Room: If you don't usually use placemats, today is a good day to test it out. You can cut your own from fabric that doesn't require hemming, or buy a simple set. Then add a few candles on a runner and spices at each place setting and you're done.
- Kraft Paper - Dawn Nicole Designs: A simple kraft paper tablecloth does wonders for a modern table setting. You can write everyone's name at their place, and it makes for the easiest cleanup when the meal is over. The mini gourds at each place are fun, but not strictly necessary if you wan't to keep a minimal table.
- Fall Foliage - Martha Stewart: Once again, simply layer your plates, and set out cloth napkins. Then the only other embellishment you need are some candles in vases with fall foliage. Finding the prettiest leaves is a great job for any young helpers.
- Gourd Runner - Jenny Hobick: Remember when it come to adding decorative gourds that less is really more. If you want to fill the table, go ahead — as long as you have a few varied sizes and an odd number, you should be okay.
- Fruit-Filled Arrangements - Country Living: You don't need an elaborate centerpiece; instead just pick up a few seasonal flower arrangements and coordinating cloth napkins. Then you can use your everyday white dishes and maybe add a few candles, and you're done.
- Monochrome - Style Me Pretty: No need to shy away from color if you have dishes with a contrasting edge or stripe. Embrace the color and go monochrome. We love the apples as decoration on this red-themed table.
- Family-Style - Design Sponge: You don't need a centerpiece when you're serving everything family-style along the table. This is a good chance to put all the serving dishes you own to good use, along with repurposing a few other things from your kitchen.
- White & Gold - A Beautiful Mess: We'll never get tired of the white and gold combo. It adds a luxe feel to any table so you can go with minimal decorations otherwise.
- Colorful Candles - Martha Stewart Weddings: If you want to keep things fun and non-perishable, try candlesticks of various heights along the center of the table. Pick up wooden ones from the craft store and spray paint them in your favorite color scheme.