When you want to go above-and-beyond for the special cook in your life, it's time to bring out the big-hitters, the slightly splurge-y gifts that most cooks dream about having, but aren't likely to pick up on a whim. Here are 10 of our favorite picks for an unforgettable gift this season:
- 1 Vitamix CIA Professional Series, $498 from Amazon: The king of all blenders, the Vitamix is a super machine. As we wrote in our review, it's versatile, powerful, and well-worth the hype. (Read Emily's review of it here.)
- 2 Breville Smart Waffle Maker, $250 from Williams-Sonoma: Such a splurge, but their Saturday mornings will never be the same again. (Read Emma's review of it here.)
- 3 Staub Cast Iron Loaf Pan, $129.95 from Williams-Sonoma: Both a remarkable pan and beautiful serving piece for the table. And it's not just for bread! Use it for casseroles, terrines, and pound cakes, too.
- 4 All-Clad Stainless 6-Quart Saute Pan, $229.95 from Amazon: A few years ago Faith was gifted this pan, and she never looked back. As she wrote here, big pans are the way to go.
- 5 Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French Oven, $274.95 from Amazon: A classic dutch oven like this is one of our essential cookware pieces, and Le Creuset never disappoints. We love it in the Caribbean blue, but your favorite cook may have another color in mind. (There are 8 to choose from!)
- 6 Ankarsrum Original Mixer, $699 from Ankarsrum USA: Swedish-made Ankarsrums have been around for decades. Dubbed "the Kitchen Assistant," they're do-it-all machines that continue to impress. (Read Cambria's review of it here.)
- 7 Magimix 12-Cup Food Processor, $329.95 from Amazon: Well-built, powerful, and very cook-friendly. Totally worth the investment. (Read Faith's review of it here.)
- 8 Coltellerie Berti Chef's Knife, $296 from Quitokeeto: This 8-inch stainless-steel knife has a high carbon content and a gorgeous white Lucite handle. Berti craftsmen make the knives in Tuscany, which the company's been doing since 1895. Heidi Swanson of 101Cookbooks calls it a "great all-purpose chef's knife."
- 9 Copper Oval Serving Platter, $265 from Food52 Provisions: Beautiful, timeless, and destined to become a family heirloom.
- 10 Sous Vide, $299.95 from Nomiku: Sleek, and capable of making the perfect steak. (Read Ariel's review of it here.)
This year, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy aren't just sharing great ideas in our gift guides, we're giving away $1,000 to help one lucky reader purchase presents for their friends and family! Through Friday, December 13th, we'll publish new gift guides each day on both sites while collecting entries in the sweepstakes. (See Official Rules for details. One entry per reader, please.) Enter below for a chance to receive a bit of extra help from us this holiday season — we want it to be your best and brightest yet!
And we're not done. Starting on Monday, December 16, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy editors have lined up ten absolutely unbelievable items (really, you won't believe how great they are!) for our big, blowout week-long Holiday Giveaway 2013. To be notified on when and how to enter to win these super-special gifts, sign up for our giveaway email today, and you won't miss a single one.