Whether you call it arugula, rucola, or rocket, this spicy salad green is one of the best treats of early spring. Yes, arugula is generally available all year long, but it's at its best in the cool months of early spring. Arugula quickly bolts and gets bitter as the weather warms, so I look for it at the farmers market (and in the garden) first thing in the springtime.
Here are a few ways to put that spicy, aromatic green to good use!
- Appetizer Recipe: Sweet Potato, Ricotta & Arugula Flatbread - The sweetness of sweet potatoes is a nice foil for spicy arugula.
- Recipe: Strawberry-Arugula Salad with Ricotta Topping - A more sophisticated style of fruit salad, with some spicy greens in the mix and a creamy topping.
- Recipe: Potato Salad with Yogurt, Arugula, and Dill - One of my favorite spring potato salad recipes, this is tangy and fresh.
- Recipe: Nutty Arugula Pesto with Penne - As the weather warms and the arugula gets spicier, make pesto out of it!
- Recipe: Whole Wheat Couscous with Cherries & Arugula - A hearty couscous salad that is wonderful in the lunchbox.
- Weeknight Dinner Recipe: Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza - A super classic style of pizza, topped with handfuls of arugula.
- Quick Snack Recipe: Cream Cheese and Arugula Toast Bites - A quick and easy appetizer.
- Recipe: Ham, Brie, Marmalade and Arugula Pressed Sandwich - A tasty lunch sandwich.
- Recipe: Arugula, Apple & Chickpea Salad Wraps - It's always nice to pair arugula with something sweet. Here, apples do the trick.
- Dinner Quick: Arugula with Orzo and Garden Tomatoes - The easiest of dinner recipes.
What's your favorite way to enjoy arugula this time of year?
(Image credits: Emma Christensen; Sara Kate Gillingham; Faith Durand; Megan Gordon; Anjali Prasertong)