It's Fall, which means it's time to pull out the ol' slow cooker! We've shared a few of our favorite slow cooker recipes in the past, including tried-and-true recipes for barbacoa beef, lemon garlic chicken, and curried vegetable stew. But did you know you can also use your slow cooker to make cheesecake? Fruit Butters? Even bread? Yes, indeed.
• 1 Oatmeal: We love steel cut oats, and this recipe makes magic out of them. A perfect way to wake up in the morning!
• 2 Soufflé : this is definitely unusual, and not our favorite way to make a soufflé, but it's definitely doable!
• 3 Baked Potato: just set it and forget it, and make a whole bunch at once!
• 4 Cheesecake: make a cheesecake, pan and all, inside your crock pot. Yes, it's possible!
• 5 Dulce de Leche: a more hands-off way to cook sweetened condensed milk.
• 6 Fruit Butters: our very favorite shortcut for making fruit butters. Cut them up, peel them, and pop them into the slow cooker!
• 7 Artichokes: it really doesn't take long to just boil an artichoke, but making them in a slow cooker is all about "the psychological pleasure of coming home after a long day to a fresh-steamed artichoke all ready to eat," as we wrote earlier.
• 8 Baked Apples, from No Monsters In My Bed: a perfect, easy, and delicious use for all those seasonal apples.
• 9 Brownies, from Martha Stewart: Who knew? Yes, sweet, sticky brownies can turn out wonderfully when baked in a slow cooker.
• 10 Bread, from Food.com: this is perhaps better for summertime baking, when you don't want the heat of your oven to overwhelm your home.
What unusual or surprising foods have you managed to make in your slow cooker?
(Image: Faith Durand)